Over night at our anchorage was incredibly quiet and still, the water as flat as a mill pond, even the crickets had retired early. The only disruption to an otherwise tranquil setting was Mark and Chris singing and playing the guitar. Marks attempt to sing sounded like the usual, out of tune herd of cats while Chris and Mary had a somewhat more melodic tone.
We set off at 9:00am on Sunday, keen to get a good spot in Sivota especially as some winds were forecast in the area for Sunday evening and the guys were keen to have a good seat in the Family Café, to watch the football at 3pm, England were playing Panama.
We weren’t sure how strong the winds were going to be, so we took the safe option and moored up on Stavros’s pontoon, with the security of a lazy line. Following a leisurely lunch on-board, Mark and Chris headed of to the Family Café run by Yanna and her family, to reserve a good table to watch the match. Mary followed shortly behind and I took advantage of the quiet time to have an afternoon nap, joining the gang late in the afternoon after they had already consumed a large number of beers … they didn’t waste any time!!.
The guys had struck up some banter with the crew of the boat two down from us on the pontoon. Mark had helped Steve the skipper earlier with some bolts that he needed for his paserelle. Steve was so surprised that someone had volunteered to help him, that he promised to carve Mark a three legged turtle made from different coloured bone as a thank you. If you are one of the “rare” people that has not heard Mark’s “I got bitten by a three legged turtle” story, then I’m sure he will be happy to tell you it … I’m not, because everyone else in the world apart from you has heard it.
As the evening progressed Yanna’s Gin and Tonic’s were ordered, with a very weak one for me I might add. The others, on the other hand, got full on, undiluted, brain damaging, 99% gin and a drop of tonic – a Yanna special. At 8:00pm we went to Stavros’s for supper, Mark decided that he should investigate both sides of the pavement, as he zigzagged his way to the restaurant and the pontoon on the way back to the boat.
The strong winds forecast for Sunday never developed, but some weather (winds and possible rain) were still forecast for late on Monday afternoon, so we decided to stay another night in Sivota. In the morning, we moved off Stavros’s pontoon up to the entrance of the bay, near Leonardo’s bar (as I call it, I can never remember it’s actual name). We found a good spot, side-on to one of the pontoons which is safe as houses. No wind was going to touch us here and there was also no need for an anchor that some first time sailor in a rented boat could “accidentally” pull up. It was very busy, there was also a large number of boats at anchor in the centre of the bay, if the winds did develop the centre becomes like a washing machine, very entertaining for everyone except the owners of those boats.
Monday was relax day. Chris and Mary took Hudson for a “long” walk but got waylaid on the way back at The Family Café (…. again, becoming a bit of a habit I think), forcing down a cold beer or two and a disgustingly large waffle covered in a mountain of cream, topped off with a whole load of other extra’s.
In the late afternoon, out of the blue, we from no wind to a strong 35 knot southerly, coming down the entrance of the bay. As I said, Hapatoni was very secure, but our neighbours, the three boats on the opposite side of the pontoon, who were on anchor, had to put their engines on to keep themselves from bashing their bums on the pontoon, but no major issue. The only real drama was the Italian boat (what a surprise that it was Italian, she says sarcastically) moored at the end of the pontoon, taking the wind full on his starboard side, had not put enough anchor chain out, so their it dragged and the port side of their boat started to move rapidly towards the front of our boat and in particular towards our anchor … our anchor would have come off way better than the side of their boat. They were so slow at dropping their mooring lines that Mark was dashing forward, knife in hand to cut them to avoid serious damage to their boat. Fortunately, they released them just in the nick of time. A few boats predictably dragged their anchors in the centre with lots of shouting and people running around fending of other boats, all very interesting for Chris and Mary to watch. With the evening calming again, we settled down to our second BBQ and a few beers, fortunately for the neighbours, there was no singing tonight.
Our plan was to move the next day to Kioni, however the weather still had other ideas, heavy rain was forecast. We decided to stay where we were as (1) We had a good safe mooring, (2) With the heavy rain not many boats would be moving, so space on the Kioni town quay would be limited and (3) Sivota has several nice bars (as Chris and Mary had discovered) and shops to while away a few hours in.
It rained on and off all day, some very heavy rain showers but no thunder or wind. Chris and Mary ducked out during one of these rain showers and surprise surprise, got stuck In the Family café again during a long heavy down poor, couldn’t move for hours, the poor souls. We finished our stay in Sivota having dinner at the Family café for one final time this visist, it seemed a most appropriate end to our visit.… Read more